Monday, June 3, 2024

『バッハの旋律を夜に聴いたせいです。』

 


hastily done DD.
squeezed it in juuust before midnight.
i really like sakanaction. it's pretty good for almost depression music. like i'm not wading through the muck of depression, i'm not in that pit right now, but there's something nearby. that's my sensation listening to their music. it's like they get it.


I've finally, FINALLY, gotten the ball rolling on my redbubble. It's made me realise I need to develop my sense of design alongside my illustration aspirations. Drawing for whatever VS developing a design for a product has different principles. I think for years I had this sense that selling art like this was somehow selling out. That it compromises "real art" to do this. I haven't had this view regarding other artists, it somehow only applies to myself. Eariler this year I attended a local workshop/info seminar about starting your own business to sell art. It was aimed at ceramicists and fine artists, I felt like an absolute outsider as a wannabe digital illustrator, but welp there I was. I did take away some useful tips though, and one helpful affirmation: selling art as a product is a traditions that's been ongoing for centuries. Millenniums! So attempting to enter the market with my own shop isn't shamefully compromising some core principal of art, the speaker at the seminar called it noble. Which was... profound to me. Surely it's something that's been said before, but it was my first time hearing someone talk about it in that way. It's something I needed to hear, and I heard it at the right time in my life.

so there's RedBubble.

The current goal is to sell on Inprnt someday. I'm intimidated by the quality of art that's available on there already - a lot of artists I admire are on there, and it's daunting to imagine my art appearing alongside that level of skill and beauty. Also practically, I think anything I do couldn't hold a candle to their artworks, so who would buy my shit haha. Understandably! 

So I think, my roadmap to inprnt is to update my tumblr with shop updates and continue to upload my own non-sellable art (like fanart, anything I don't have the IP right to sell) and get more comfortable and familiar with that process. I signed up for Cara the other day, I don't really have a feel for what the climate is like there, so I think I might post shitty doodles and sketches that I don't want on my tumblr to there. At some point open a Ko-fi? There's a shop function there? At least I can drop my hat on a sidewalk there for folks to donate alms to if they like any fanart I do that caught their eye. That sounds so... bad. I dunno. That's still an uncomfortable idea, but I dunno, is that something to just overcome in the pursuit of art? I'm dipping into my savings every month to pay for things. Currently only working casual hours has been rough, especially now that it's getting colder. Putting off heating the house and keeping my grocery shopping to a bare minimum. I think I've only gotten food delivery a couple of times this year? It's just too expensive for my tight budget. But anyway, this is all just to say, it'd be good to have this time that I have to PROPERLY invest into working on developing my art and try to create things that people would be glad to buy. Product design is kind of exciting! It's so creative. I have to be honest with myself though - do I like the idea of it, or do I actually want to make the things. Like how I wanted to learn violin years ago. Do I actually want to play the violin or do I just like the idea of being able to play songs I like on the violin. I'm not passionate about playing any instrument. What if that's how I find that I feel about creative designy things. hhhh. i hope. i like it. so much. that i do it. in all my free time.

No comments:

Post a Comment